Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi
Hello to all, I did not know this distro existed til yesterday. I stumbled across it via suckless, then without-systemd and their list of
distros without systemd to here.
I am fascinated with Tiny Core Linux and have an interest in wifi security but far from an expert at either.
It looks like there has been much work put into TinyPaw and I want to say thanks for creating it.
I would need some time to use TP and see how it works, plus another re-read of Into the Core book.
I find working with Tiny Core to be fun and hope I can add something positive here. When time permits.
Thanks again to r1sen for creating this.
Well thank you! and thanks for your support!

There definitely has been "much work" put into this project thus far - and on that note let me also give credit and thanks to all the work put into the Tiny Core Linux project which is the foundation of TinyPaw-Linux. It has been touch and go to say the least and coming up to the one year mark from the initial project release! So thanks for your interest, introduction and feedback as well as everyone else in the various communities. You're feedback, thoughts, contributions, problems or complaints lol are always welcome.
I like the way roberts created TCL and how he used the technologies to create this distro and I am thankful for the Tiny Core Linux project for continuing on with his vision.
I am interested in the modifications you had to make to have TP work for this distro but that is for another thread.
I have two laptops based on SBC's that I would like to port TP to if I can.
Anyway, Happy one year anniversary to the TP project and hope for many more.
Thank you very much for your interest in the project and support!

Your interest in the Tiny Core Project - technologies and pen testing is essentially how TinyPaw-Linux began in the first place. I had over time tried/used just about every pen testing distro - er, at least the major ones and grew increasingly frustrated that, like their foundation they were built off of seemed to be overly bundled in unnecessary desktop features, tools and packages - in my opinion of course. Before I continue - I want to make it clear that I am not condemning or speaking negatively against any distro or dev team - hard work is hard work regardless. That being said I stumbled across the Xiaopan OS project which led me to Beini - both of which seemed to have reached their EOL or at least have become dormant. Upon testing and seeing both built upon one TCL core or another which led me to begin experimenting myself. I love mainly two key aspects of TCL to me - more so then *.iso size is the fact that there is no shred of systemd as well entirely operates within system memory (ram) which on technical aspect alone carries higher transfer speed of almost 3x that of conventional HDD and almost 2x that of a conventional SSD. That being said, it also somewhat surprises me with all the negative publicity as well and conspiracy behind the introduction and proliferation of systemd as a "standard" how most mainstream pen testing environments ship out with it as well with no alternate options for init systems? Perhaps just my take on it I suppose. Anyway, the TinyPaw-Linux project essentially started and took off from the Xiaopan OS forums, I owe a lot to that community for their support, testing and feedback!

Though you said "for another thread" some of the most easily listed modifications have been:

- recompiling grep for perl regular expressions
- compiling new(er) pcre / pcre2
- compiling python qt variants (4 / 5)
- compiling new xterm and x11 libs
- essential python 2.7 / 3.6 modules for various pen testing tools
- compiling new(er) crypto libs - gnutls / gcrypt, etc
- compiling (some) kernel wifi drivers
- compiling every pen testing tool within the TinyPaw environment
- building main scripts into "/home/tc/" of the core instead of squashfs packages for r+rw and performance
- altering and resquashing hackedbox
- dns package to point to "/home/tc" for dhcpd.leases file for r+rw
- modified current scripts for TP/TCL file system in order to either locate dependencies or leasing files
- etc, etc, etc

*very important to note - not every library nor piece of the system core was recompiled or newly introduced, many of which was possible by the hard work already put into Tiny Core Linux and the packages from their repositories*
I suppose systemd works well for what it was originally intended to do, it is my opinion that it does not work well for everything. It definitely is not a standard nor should it be, and programs should not be dependent on it nor require it. I think the Gentoo project was the only one that implemented it correctly, stating you can use it if you want and had documentation on how to do that or you can use whatever you want. I though freedom to have your system the way you want it is the GNU/Linux way?

I agree with the points you made about TCL, The size of this distro is not a problem, as long as it stays under a GiB, HAHA! I also like that the smaller system makes it easier to get to know the internals and how it functions at the most basic level. I can't believe it has been that long but 18 years ago I first started using GNU/Linux. At that point I was really starting to understand how the system worked. Then not soon after that the systems increased in complexity exponentially, and being it is just a hobby for me I was unable to keep up with the advances. I have been using it exclusively since then but never really "knowing" the system.

I have started working with TP a little but available time is a limiting factor.
One question for here and now,
Why not a 64bit distro to take advantage of greater amounts of RAM? I have 8G on my laptop but can only access less than 3G.
Would it have required a multi-lib system?
just curious.
Your curiosity is completely warranted Smile

The TinyPaw-Linux project is still in it's "birth" cycle if you will, the original "audience" if that would be an appropriate label - like myself were hobbyist's with retro/older disposable hardware to use and give a second life to. Thus initially my work has gone into developing and critiquing TinyPaw to a fully fledged and formidable release for the x86/32bit architecture and then and only then beginning work on a 64bit release based on the Core Pure 64 foundation. Being a team of one, I did not see the logic to setting aside development to venture into a 64bit release before all the bugs were ironed out of a flagship 32bit release build. In a perfect world if I existed beyond the confines of space and time I would be rolling out a Pi, Arm, 64bit and 32bit release cycle.

As far as new or secondary libs, the lazy way would just use the 32bit compiled tools and dump them ontop of the 64bit kernel, but to take advantage of not only more then 3Gb system memory and multi HT core CPU's all tools, libs, etc would be recompiled in the 64bit environment. Thus why I have wanted to hold off until certain of the TP build I would want to port to a 64bit release build.

To answer your question simply - 32bit architecture on Linux can only simultaneously utilize 3Gb of system memory (RAM) anything extra could be segmented as swap but not continuous accessibility. As far as CPU - the highest 32bit x86 capability was 3 +/- Ghz single core hyper threaded.